Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Adventures on Sentosa

Greetings from Singapore!  Today we went off to the small island off the coast of the city, Sentosa.  Sentosa is a Malay word meaning peace and tranquility.  This island is full of exciting things like a trapeze, wave pool, and luge ride.  There are also some beaches and hotels.

First we went to an area where you could hold live birds.  It was great fun!  I held four different birds.  The birds had a very strong grip like a clamp.  The talons of the birds were not so sharp that it was painful, they tickled more than they hurt. 

The last bird that I held laying on his back with his talons in the air.  His feathers were very soft and sleek.

After that, we went on a luge.  A luge is like a cross between a go-cart and a toboggan.  You ride it down a hill on a usually curvy path.  You steer by moving the handle bars left and right.  You brake by pulling them back. 

Next we went to a place called the Wave House.  It was in the shape of a diagonal slant.  At the bottom there is a high-powered water jet shooting water up to the top.  This creates a wave effect on which you can surf.  It was less difficult than I expected to stay on the board.  The water was so foreceful that whenever I fell off I was carried up to the top of the pool almost immediately.  It felt like I was actually in the ocean when the water completely covered me, and I often got pinned up against the back board.  Once the instructor had to fish me out.

It was a terrific way to spend our last day in Singapore.


No comments:

Post a Comment