Sunday, December 29, 2013

Enough with the temples

Today the day was a lot shorter than usual, maybe because I slept until about nine. The main attraction for the day was, once again, a temple. We also shopped some more because the amount of souvenirs that we had before might have actually fit in the suitcases.

The temple was fairly unremarkable in my eyes, as I have already been to five temples with similar decor and building style. Here are some pictures in case you still find it remarkable.


If you look closely, you can see that there is more than one serpent on each side. The serpents are eating each other, starting at the very back, which is not quite visible here.


One thing that was quite remarkable about the site was the especially old structure toward the back. It is a towering structure made of bricks of old-looking, earth tone brown. It seems to twist at the top. It dates back to 1391.


The area in front of it was topped by a grid of white string, with strings hanging down from the corners. Each one had a cluster of string at the end, which I enjoyed headbutting.


Funny Thing of the Day

We entered the temple shown in the second picture, and while we were there, people started praying in unison. They looked like they were concentrating. Meanwhile, my dad found the irritating-looking childlike monk statue in the second-to-last photo below. He decided to make a donation by putting a coin into the pot that the statue held. Little did he know that this would set it off and cause it to chant something in Thai in a loud voice reminiscent of a Teletubby. While the prayer was going on. That was embarrassing.


Bonus photos: Poor grammar signs!



I love Amway?
Aidan's imitations!





1 comment:

  1. Aidan, I'm enjoying following your trip. You are having quite an experience! I want to suggest that you try the rambutan fruit if you haven't already. I loved it. My advise, avoid the durian though.

    ReplyDelete