Saturday, December 28, 2013

Water, Please

Today I learned that Thai food is almost always spicy. I took a Thai cooking class to prove it. It turns out that with Thai food, there should be a balance of every flavor- sweet, spicy, sour, and salty. That means that there was at least a dash of eye-watering pepper in almost every dish. Unfortunately, my mouth catches on fire when a measure of about one atom of spicy has been detected. This was my reaction to my seasoned mushrooms:

My dad loved the cooking. Mom and I were breathing fire.

Even though I ended up eating mostly steamed rice when feasting time came, the cooking class was great fun.

Peeling bananas is not my strong suit. Help!




A finished product.
Far left: 'T' for Thailand written in the soup with chili sauce.

You know, a funny thing happened on the way to the kitchen today; they had a musk ox that I got to touch, right there in the complex. The horn feels like a hard piece of wood, like it's not even part of the animal.




As a sample of our cooking, here is the recipe for my favorite dish that we cooked, the banana cake. Caution: gooey consistency.

1 ripe banana
2 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
4 tbsp coconut cream
3 tbsp grated coconut meat

1.  Peel banana and add into a bowl along with rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, salt, coconut cream, and coconut meat.  Mix well until the ingredients combine.
2.  Put the mixture into a steamer at medium heat.  (We used banana leaves but you can use a large muffin cup.)
3.  Steam for 15-20 minutes.
4.  Serve warm or cold.

Bonus photos:





More photobombs!



1 comment:

  1. Aidan, really enjoying your blog. Your father is pretty funny, too.
    P.S. What's a photo bomb?

    ReplyDelete