Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Maritime and Punishment


Hello, blog followers. I'm typing this while hidden inside the bathroom trash can, hoping that my mom won't notice me and take me to another museum. Today we went to the Maritime museum, and luckily for you guys, I brought back pictures.

Our adventure started similarly to our last one. We ventured into the choking city to salvage a printer, and we figured we couldn't go all the way there and be hot in only one place. Hence, our journey to the Maritime museum. There was one thing, though, that made this place wildly different: it was practically deserted. We only encountered about five other people, and even then they were quickly gone. Probably because we know less about the depths of the ocean than we do about the surface of the moon.

Here is most of what I took away from our adventure:



There were, however, some fascinating snippets at the museum. Cue the picture show.

In case you can't see, the most humorous part reads, "The Imperial Court believed that the world consisted of  'all under heaven' and that China lay at its central point. Nations that lay outside Chinese boundaries were considered to be insubordinate and were expected to pay tributes to China as their overlord. From the Imperial Court's point of view, the further away a nation was from China, the less civilized it was."

An extremely old-fashioned boat like this...

Somehow traveled around the world, in this pattern, long before the ages of modern boats.
This is a piracy section. I was a bit surprised to see someone with a rocket-powered grenade launcher before I read that part of the exhibit was on modern piracy.

"Day one: In order to blend in, I have armed myself with the best weapon available- a mechanical pencil.  The others suspect nothing.




The signs were often very vague, inserting fancy phrases like "trading instability" in place of actually describing what happened. Here is the gist of it, courtesy of Scott Adams:

Now back to the museum.

This guy is the worst scuba diver ever. He has no mask on, and his mouthpiece isn't even in his mouth.

Here, museum-goers are given the chance to lift up an old-timey diver's helmet to see how heavy it is. The answer: really, really heavy. It must have weighed at least fifty pounds. As the sign says, imagine having that on your shoulders for a few hours!

That's all for now, folks. Thanks for reading.

Aidan Sez!

Why should Dad get the spotlight all the time? Here, I share my profound insights on Hong Kong. Aidan Sez:

"I haven't gone to school in quite a while. I think I'm becoming sort of feral."

                             -Aidan

No comments:

Post a Comment