Monday, June 16, 2014

Kitten in Cambodia

Before I start, it's worth noting that on the Cambodia day that I am about to tell you about, it was so hot that I died. I reincarnated into a kitten, but unfortunately, I reincarnated back in Hong Kong. I had to stow away in somebody's bag so I could catch a plane back to Cambodia, and I was almost discovered when I couldn't stop myself from playing with some catnip inside. Anyway, here was our day.

First Stop: Banteay Srei

Build in the year 967, this temple is still mind-blowingly intricate.

This carving held up for over a thousand years.





Location Two: Banteay Samre



The entrance.


This temple had a significantly grassier feel than Banteay Srei.

Me napping on a windowsill at the entrance.



It looks like something fresh out of a movie.
A row of windows.



Final Destination: Phnom Bakheng


Phnom Bakheng is so high up- at the peak of a steep hill, no less- that you can see Angkor Wat from it.

Phnom Bakheng itself. We went to see a "sunset" here. It turns out that they close quite early, so we didn't get the sunset we had hoped for.


A monk using a smartphone. This was actually quite common in this temple.
When the army was stationed here, they practiced shooting by firing at this carving.

It is very fitting that our journey in Cambodia should start with a sunrise and end with a sunset.

So there you have it. That was our journey in Cambodia. I eventually became human again, because in my cat form, I hated the idea of getting on a plane so much that I changed back into a person. Now we're back in Hong Kong, recovering from the craziness. I hope you enjoyed reading about our insanity.

Bonus!

We don't have any pictures of it, but we noticed something on the way back from Banteay Srei- a marketeer trying to pitch an item to us. Now, that's actually quite normal for Cambodia, but it was the person and the item that really caught our attention. A policeman was trying to sell us his badge. Seems legit.

We were later informed by our guide that most policemen only make 50-60 U.S. dollars a month. This probably explains the… interesting behavior of our officer.

Dad Sez!

Cambodia is even more hot and humid than Hong Kong

It's time for Dad's profound insights on: sweat!

"You used a picture of me with big sweaty pits!"
               
                                       -Dad
Did anyone notice that in yesterday's picture?




Thanks for reading!
Next up: Back to Boring Old Hong Kong!

No comments:

Post a Comment